Hangovers are caused by drinking too much alcohol - and symptoms can include:
Dehydration can also occur because alcohol is a diuretic making you pee more.
Hangovers can't be 'cured' but symptoms can be eased.
- Re-hydration - replacing lost fluids by drinking plenty of water or soft drinks - this is best done before you go to bed after a night out
- Take painkillers for headaches
- Eat some food - depending on what you can keep down - toast, sugary foods, or even soup may help
- Antacids may help with upset stomach symptoms
- Avoid 'hair of the dog' (drinking more alcohol to ease the hangover) as this just delays the hangover
- Stay off alcohol for 48 hours after a hangover
Tips to avoid a hangover include:
- Know your limits
- Know which drinks affect you more than others
- Don’t drink on an empty stomach
- Alternate between alcoholic drinks and soft drinks