Boots WebMD Partners in Health
Return To Boots

Allergies health centre

Select a topic to explore more.
Select An Article

Eye allergies

Allergy symptoms often affect the eyes, with itching, burning, redness and watering, as well as puffy eyelids.

Allergic conjunctivitis affects the conjunctiva, a clear layer of tissue overlying the eyes.

Types of allergic conjunctivitis include seasonal allergic conjunctivitis (SAC) and perennial allergic conjunctivitis (PAC).

Eye allergy causes

Ocular ( eye) allergies often affect the conjunctiva, a clear layer of tissue overlying the eyes. This clear layer of tissue is the same type that lines the inside surface of the nose. Because these two areas are so similar, the same allergens (substances that induce an allergic reaction) can trigger the same allergic response in both areas.

Common allergens include:

The main difference between SAC and PAC is the timing of the symptoms.

If you have SAC, you generally have problems for a short period of time. You may be bothered in the spring by tree pollen, in the summer by grass pollen or in the autumn by moulds. Generally your symptoms resolve during other times of the year, especially in the winter.

If you have PAC, your problems probably last throughout the year. Instead of outdoor allergens you generally have problems with indoor allergens such as house dust mites and pet dander. Seasonal outdoor allergens may worsen your problems if you are sensitive to them as well.


Eye allergy symptoms

SAC and PAC have identical symptoms, only the timing of the symptoms is different.

  • With SAC your symptoms are generally limited to a particular season (ie spring, summer, autumn)
  • With PAC your symptoms probably last all year.

Very often the symptom of itching indicates an allergic reaction. This is true of allergic conjunctivitis, where the primary symptom is itchy eyes. In addition to this you may experience the following symptoms:

  • Redness
  • Tearing
  • Burning sensation
  • Blurred vision
  • Mattering and/or mucus production


When to seek medical care

If you have allergies but can identify and avoid whatever you are allergic to, your allergies should improve markedly. If you are unable to identify or avoid the allergens, seeking treatment for your eye-related allergy symptoms from your doctor or pharmacist can help to keep the symptoms at bay.

  • If you have SAC, you may want to make an appointment with your doctor prior to the season in which you have allergy symptoms in order to start treatment before they begin.
  • If you have PAC, follow-up appointments with your doctor may be helpful to monitor your eye-related allergies. Occasional flare-ups of your symptoms may require more frequent visits. Consultation with an allergy specialist may be very beneficial.

Questions to ask the doctor

  • Is there a specific, identifiable cause?
  • How can I reduce my symptoms?



Next Article:

WebMD Medical Reference

Allergy & asthma newsletter

Get tips for breathing easier.
Sign Up

Popular slideshows & tools on BootsWebMD

woman coughing
Home remedies for coughing
smiling baby
Causes and remedies
man holding sore neck
16 tips when you have a lot of weight to lose
mother and child
Caring for a baby with cows' milk allergy
woman holding mouth
What causes sensitive teeth?
man holding sore neck
8 signs you're headed for menopause
man holding sore neck
The best time to do everything
bain illustration
Best foods for your brain
woman doing situps
7 most effective exercises
avacado on whole wheat crackers
Plenty to choose from
egg in cup
Surprising things that can harm your liver