NHS ChoicesMedical Reference
Breastfeeding is a completely natural way of feeding your baby and it has health benefits for both mother and child.
Today, most women in England are choosing to breastfeed because:
- breast milk is the only natural food designed for your baby
- breastfeeding protects your baby from infections and diseases
- breast milk provides health benefits for your baby
- breastfeeding provides health benefits for you
- it is free
- it is available whenever and wherever your baby needs a feed
- it is the right temperature
- it can build a strong physical and emotional bond between you and your baby
- it can give you a great sense of achievement
For more information on breastfeeding benefits, tips, and support if you are having problems, visit the Breastfeeding guide.