What is depression?
Depression is a mental health condition where a person has a long lasting low mood, and/or may lose pleasure or interest in activities.
Other symptoms of depression include:
- A depressed mood during most of the day, particularly in the morning
- Fatigue or loss of energy almost every day
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt almost every day
- Impaired concentration, indecisiveness
- Insomnia or hypersomnia (excessive sleeping) almost every day
- Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in almost all activities nearly every day, a condition called anhedonia that can be indicated by a subjective account or by observations of significant others
- Recurring thoughts of death or suicide (not just fearing death)
- A sense of restlessness known as psychomotor agitation, or being slowed down, retardation
- Significant weight loss or gain