Natural beauty tips for women over 50
As the years go by, it is natural to gain some grey hair and wrinkles.
However, there are plenty of skin care products, nonsurgical facial treatments and hair care products to help women over 50 enhance their natural beauty.
What happens to skin and hair as we age?
The effects of sun exposure, smoking, diet and heredity become evident on our skin as we get older. Stress, gravity and obesity also affect how your skin looks. And as we age, our skin doesn't produce new cells as quickly as it used to. Skin gradually becomes less elastic and more prone to dryness.
Something similar happens to cells that give our hair its colour, too. Hair pigment cells become less efficient at renewing themselves, which makes hair grey.
Eight natural beauty tips for your skin
A few simple steps can help you to care for your skin as you get older. These natural beauty tips can get you started.
- If you smoke, stop. Research shows that smoking prematurely ages your skin.
- Just say no to sunbathing and tanning salons. Stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when the sun's rays are at their strongest. If you must be outside, wear a protective hat, long-sleeved shirt, and sunglasses. Freckles, age spots, and blotchy complexions are linked to sun exposure.
- Wear sunscreen religiously. Use products with SPF 15 or higher, and both UVB and UVA protection. Damage to the skin from excess or unprotected sun exposure is known as "photo-ageing." These changes can include fine wrinkles and an uneven skin tone.
- Check skin often for signs of skin cancer. If there are changes that worry you, seek medical advice promptly. Fair-skinned people, who’ve spent a lot of time in the sun are at higher risk of melanoma.
- Soothe dry skin. Use a humidifier. Use moisturising soaps and lotions. Seek medical advice if you still have problems.
- Eat healthily and hydrate. Good nutrition helps the body repair skin. Drinking enough liquid helps hydrate skin from the inside out.
- Try anti-ageing products. For women over 50, over-the-counter creams and lotions may enhance natural beauty.
Your favourite natural beauty tip may be as simple as wearing a radiant smile. Or it may mean using a few products or treatments along the way. Whatever your choice, taking care of yourself is ultimately the most beautiful thing of all.