Natural beauty tips for women over 50
As the years go by, it is natural to gain some grey hair and wrinkles.
However, there are plenty of skin care products, facial treatments (that don't involve cosmetic surgery) and hair care products to help women over 50 enhance their natural beauty.
What happens to skin and hair as we age?
Over the years, sun exposure, smoking, dietary habits, stress, natural aging and obesity - and of course inherited genes - can affect our skin and the way it looks.
As we get older, skin doesn’t regenerate new cells like it used to, making it less elastic. Also, we're more likely to be affected by dry skin.
Hair pigment cells are also affected by ageing and that makes grey hair more likely.
Natural beauty tips for your skin
Here are some natural beauty tips and skin care steps to care for skin as you get older:
- Quit smoking - smoking prematurely ages your skin and it is never too late to stop.
- Protect skin from harsh sunlight and avoid tanning beds. Some safe summer sun exposure is important to help the body make vitamin D, but avoiding the sunniest times of the day, covering up and using good quality sunscreen helps protect the skin at other times.
- Sunscreen should be SPF 15 or higher with both UVB and UVA protection. Sun damage can cause photo-ageing with fine wrinkles and an uneven skin tone.
- Look for patches of skin that change over time or moles that get bigger or change shape. These could be signs of skin cancer and medical advice should be sought.
- Soothe your dry skin with moisturising soaps and lotions. Seek medical advice for problem dry skin.
- Eat healthily and drink enough water and fluids. The body needs good nutrition to feed and repair the skin. Drinking enough liquid helps hydrate skin from the inside out.
- Some specific anti-ageing cosmetic products, creams and lotions may enhance natural beauty.
- Sometimes just smiling more can be a great beauty tip.