The following guidelines have been established by us to govern various aspects of Advertising on the BootsWebMD site (the "Site"). For these purposes, the terms "Advertising", "Advertisements" and "Adverts" include but are not restricted to third party banners, badges, contextual Advertising, sponsored content, and promotions. The guidelines in this policy govern issues like acceptance of Advertisements and promotions by us, how Advertisements and promotions are displayed on the Site, and the removal of Advertisements and promotions from the Site. While third party (sponsor influenced) content must adhere to this Advertising Policy, labelling of sponsored content is governed by Our sponsor policy. WebMD and Boots have sole and absolute discretion with respect to interpretation and enforcement of this policy and all other issues associated with Advertising on the Site. We may change this policy at any time in our sole discretion by posting a revised policy to the Site.
- We have sole discretion for determining the types of Advertising that will be accepted and displayed on the Site, and under no circumstances will our acceptance of any Advertisement be considered an endorsement of the product(s) and/or service(s) advertised or for the company that advertises, manufactures, distributes, or promotes the products or services.
- We will not accept Advertising that, in our opinion, is not factually accurate and in good taste.
- There are certain categories of advertisements that BootsWebMD will not permit on the Site at any time. These categories include but are not limited to the following:
Advertisers must only offer products or services that are readily available for purchase at the advertised price (with noted tax and delivery fees). The Advertising must also clearly identify the advertiser. Any Advertising that could be misconstrued as editorial content will be clearly labelled as Advertising.
We recognise and maintain a distinct separation between advertising and sponsored content and editorial and decision-making content. All Advertising, promotional, sponsored or marketing content on the Site will be clearly and unambiguously identified. We will not allow any Advertising on the Site that is not identified with the label of "Advert" or "Advertisement."
- illegal or 'objectionable' products (BootsWebMD reserves the right to determine what is 'objectionable')
- fraudulent, deceptive, illicit, misleading or offensive material
- material that misrepresents, ridicules, discriminates (real or implied) or attacks an individual or group on the basis of age, national origin, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other status deemed inappropriate for the Site
- weapons, firearms, ammunition, or fireworks
- pornography or related themes
- tobacco use of any kind
- the simulation of news or an emergency
- material that directly advertises products to or is intended to attract children
- media or messages for or that reference British Board of Film Classification rated "15", or Irish Film Classification Office rated "16", or Pan-European Game Information rated "16+", or above, video games or content
- unreasonable, unlikely or extraordinary product or service claims
- media messages or imagery that strobe or flash
- media or messages that contain unsubstantiated "miracle" weight loss or other miracle claims of cure
- advertising units that extend beyond the defined advertising space or interfere with the content or impact the readability of the content without user initiation
- advertising units that do not retract to the defined advertising space upon user scroll off or do not contain a "close" or "X" for user to retract or close the ad unit/message after user initiation
- advertising units that mimic computer functions or deceptively indicate a computer or other function that would be reasonable to the average user to assume as a reason to click the unit
- third party branded, interactive media units with data capture fields on any editorial (non-sponsored)
- third party branded, interactive media units with personalised or diagnostic assessments
Clicking on the Advertisement unit will link you to an advertiser's site, to relevant information on the Site, or to a Sponsor's Resource Centre on the Site. Sponsored Resource Centres are labelled as being sponsored and the name of the sponsoring entity is displayed. See Our sponsor policy for more information about how we label information from our Sponsors and the steps we take to help you understand the differences between our content and sponsored content.
BootsWebMD retains the exclusive right to determine how any and all search results for specific information by keyword or topic are displayed on the Site. The search results are not influenced based on monetary incentives provided by Advertisers or Sponsors. Content listed in search results is displayed with its source e.g. "News" or "Journal Article". If Sponsored content appears in the search results, it is labelled as "Sponsor" so that users can make informed decisions about the content they wish to view. In addition, we provide a separate area on the search results page labelled "Sponsors" in which sponsors and advertisers may purchase space to list their content or advertising. See Our sponsors for more information.
We reserve the right to reject, cancel, or remove at any time any Advertising from the Site for any reason and will provide prompt notice to the advertiser upon rejection, cancellation, or removal of any Advertising, together with an explanation following the rejection, cancellation, or removal. We also reserve the right to determine the appropriate placement of the Advertising on the Site.
While third party (sponsor or advertiser produced) content must adhere to this Advertising Policy, labelling of sponsored content on the Site is governed by Our sponsor policy, which describes how we label information from our sponsors and the steps we take to help our end users understand the differences between BootsWebMD content and sponsored content.
It is the Advertiser's responsibility to comply with all domestic and foreign laws and regulations, including laws and regulations of regulatory bodies applicable to its Advertising on the Site (and to include all legally required legends, disclosures and statements in such Advertising). BootsWebMD will not monitor compliance with such laws and regulations. However, we reserve the right to review all Advertising for compliance with applicable laws and regulations and, if we become aware of any breach or potential breach of any applicable law or regulation or of these guidelines, we may remove the Advertising from the Site.
No Advertising will be allowed on the Site that could injure the good name or reputation of WebMD, Boots or the Site.
No Advertising on the Site shall include any pixels, tags, flash containers or any other type of information collection software code or shall place any beacons, cookies or other information collection devices on the browsers of users of the Site unless expressly approved in writing by BootsWebMD.
Last updated: June 2012
©2012 Boots UK Limited and WebMD UK Limited. All rights reserved.