Boots WebMD Partners in Health
Return To Boots

Allergies health centre

Select a topic to explore more.
Select An Article

DIY moisture and mould problem solving around the home

Whether it's slimy black spots on your shower curtain, green mould in your fridge seal or slick orange film that forms on your kitchen drain, household mould is more than unsightly. In some cases, mould in your home can make you unwell, especially if you have allergies or asthma.

Whether or not you're allergic to moulds, mould exposure can irritate your eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs. Here's what you can do to combat mould problems, and take care of yourself and your home.

Who's at risk from mould?

For people sensitive to mould, inhaling or touching mould spores can cause allergic reactions, including sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash. Some people with mould allergies may have more severe reactions, including shortness of breath. In people with asthma who are allergic to mould, breathing in spores can also cause asthma attacks.

In addition to people with allergies and asthma, others who may be more sensitive to the effects of mould include:


What is mould?

Moulds are small organisms found almost everywhere. They can be black, white, orange, green or purple. Outdoors, moulds play an important role in nature, breaking down dead leaves, plants, and trees. Moulds thrive on moisture and reproduce by means of tiny, lightweight spores that travel through the air. You’re exposed to mould every day.

In small amounts, mould spores are usually harmless, but when they land on a damp spot in your home, they can start to grow. When mould is growing on a surface, spores can be released into the air where they can be easily inhaled. If you're sensitive to mould and inhale a large number of spores, you could experience health problems.

Where do moulds grow?

Your walls, floors, appliances, carpets, or furniture can all provide the food mould needs to grow. But the thing all moulds need most is moisture, so you're most likely to see mould in damp places such as bathrooms, kitchens, utility rooms, and cellars.

Top tips for controlling mould

It's impossible to get rid of all mould and mould spores in your home, but because mould spores can't grow without moisture, ventilation and reducing moisture in your home is the best way to prevent or eliminate mould growth. If there is already mould growing in your home, it's important to clean up the mould and fix the problem causing dampness. If you clean up the mould but don't fix the problem, the mould will probably return.

He are some moisture-reducing tips for the areas most prone to dampness and mould growth:

Next Article:

WebMD Medical Reference

Popular slideshows & tools on BootsWebMD

How to help headache pain
rash on skin
Top eczema triggers to avoid
Causes of fatigue & how to fight it
Tips to support digestive health
woman looking at pregnancy test
Is your body ready for pregnancy?
woman sleeping
Sleep better tonight
Treating your child's cold or fever
fifth disease
Illnesses every parent should know
spoonfull of sugar
Surprising things that harm your liver
woman holding stomach
Understand this common condition
What your nails say about your health