Boots WebMD Partners in Health
Return To Boots

Allergies health centre

Select a topic to explore more.
Select An Article

Allergic reactions to insect stings

Most people do not suffer allergic reactions from bee, wasp, hornet or ant stings, even though the sting may be painful and uncomfortable.

When there is an allergic reaction, the severity of it will vary from person to person.

There are three types of reactions - normal, localised and anaphylactic:

  • A normal reaction will result in pain, swelling and redness around the sting site.
  • A large local reaction will result in swelling that extends beyond the sting site. For example someone stung on the ankle may experience swelling of the entire leg. While it often looks alarming, it is generally no more serious than a normal reaction.
  • The most serious reaction to an insect sting is an anaphylactic one. This condition requires immediate medical attention.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, called anaphylaxis, after a wasp sting or insect sting may include:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Hives that appear as a red, itchy rash and spread to areas beyond the sting
  • Swelling of the face, throat or mouth tissue
  • Wheezing or difficulty swallowing
  • Restlessness and anxiety
  • Rapid pulse
  • Dizziness or a sharp drop in blood pressure

Although anaphylaxis is not that common, it can lead to shock, cardiac arrest, and unconsciousness in minutes. This type of reaction can be fatal. Get emergency treatment as soon as possible.

A mild allergic reaction to an insect sting may cause one or more of the following symptoms at the site of the sting:

  • Pain
  • Redness
  • Pimple-like spots
  • Mild to moderate swelling
  • Warmth at the sting site
  • Itching

How common are sting allergies?

Allergy UK says children are more likely to be stung by insects, but appear to be less likely to experience severe reactions. It is estimated that life-threatening reactions to insect stings occur in around one in 150 children, compared to three out of 100 adults.

How are normal or localised reactions treated?

  • First, if stung on the hand, remove any rings from your fingers immediately.
  • If stung by a bee, the bee usually leaves a sac of venom and a stinger in your skin. Remove the stinger within 30 seconds to avoid receiving more venom. Gently scrape the sac and stinger out with a fingernail or a stiff-edged object such as a credit card. Do not squeeze the sac or pull on the stinger - this will cause the release of more venom into the skin.
  • Wash the stung area with soap and water - then apply an antiseptic.
  • Apply a soothing ointment such as a hydrocortisone cream or calamine lotion and cover the area with a dry sterile bandage.
  • If swelling is a problem, apply an ice pack or a cold compress to the area.
  • Take an over-the-counter oral antihistamine to reduce itching, swelling and hives. However, this medication should not be given to children under two years old or to pregnant women without prior approval from a doctor.
  • To relieve pain take paracetamol or a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen – pregnant women should seek the advice of their doctor or pharmacist before taking ibuprofen.
  • In general, pregnant women should consult their doctors before taking any over-the-counter medicine.
  • Also, carefully read the warning label on any medicines before taking it. Parents of children and people with medical conditions should consult a pharmacist or doctor if they have questions about a medicine's use.
Next Article:

WebMD Medical Reference

Popular slideshows & tools on BootsWebMD

How to help headache pain
rash on skin
Top eczema triggers to avoid
Causes of fatigue & how to fight it
Tips to support digestive health
woman looking at pregnancy test
Is your body ready for pregnancy?
woman sleeping
Sleep better tonight
Treating your child's cold or fever
fifth disease
Illnesses every parent should know
spoonfull of sugar
Surprising things that harm your liver
woman holding stomach
Understand this common condition
What your nails say about your health