Why treat constipation?
Breaking the cycle of constipation
Constipation can be caused by a number of underlying problems and it's vital that these are addressed if constipation is to be avoided in the long term. If you fail to address what caused the constipation in the first place then it may keep on returning as a recurring problem. Lifestyle changes are important and should be tried first, but if they don't solve the problem then laxatives can get your bowel working, and provide effective relief in the short term.
The two most common causes for constipation are eating too little fibre and / or not drinking enough fluids. Correcting both is relatively easy and should be the first line approach for anyone prone to recurrent constipation. Try the following steps:
Increase your daily fibre intake.
Increase your intake gradually over a few days and try to eat fibres in quantities recommended by the NHS. .1 Increase your intake of fresh fruit and vegetables (leaving the skin on where possible), switch from white bread to high fibre wholemeal types, and eat a portion of high fibre cereal (bran based) every morning. Children should also improve their fibre intake (baked beans are an excellent source of fibre – there is as much as 5 grams in a good serving). If you find it difficult to increase the fibre content of your diet, then consider a regular fibre supplement (ask your GP, pharmacist or practice nurse for advice). If your constipation persists despite these measures then seek medical advice.
Drink plenty of fluid.
If you become dehydrated, your body will take excess fluid from the bowel making your stools firmer, harder and more difficult to pass. Aim for an intake of around 2 litres a day - any type of drink (except alcohol of course!), including tea and coffee, will count towards this total.
When it's time to treat your constipation, use UK's #1 selling constipation relief brand*—Senokot. Senokot tablets contain natural Senna and promote powerful relief.
- Senokot with natural Senna, helps restore your natural movement
- Also available in MAX strength for constipation relief
- Provides predictable relief that works overnight
- Senokot with natural Senna, helps restore your natural movement.
- Easy to swallow liquid format
- Can be given to children on medical advice
Senokot dual relief tablets
- Contains natural Senna, dandelion root, senna leaves tinnevelly, aloes (cape) bp, cascara bark,fennel fruit
- Traditional herbal medicinal product used for short term relief of occasional constipation and bloating, exclusively based upon long standing use as a traditional remedy