Beauty and skin care: Vitamins and antioxidants
Age takes its toll on our skin, just as it does on other parts of our bodies. Exposure to sunlight and oxygen throughout the years produces unstable molecules called free radicals, which can cause inflammation, damage skin cells, and ultimately increase the risk of developing skin cancer.
No magic pill or supplement can make you look 20 years younger, and the three key ways to ensure youthful skin are to protect your skin from the sun, eat a healthy diet, and not to smoke.
Vitamins and antioxidants for skin health
Certain vitamins and antioxidants may help maintain skin health:
- Vitamin A, also known as retinol, is important for helping to keep skin healthy
- Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, helps protect cells and tissue and aids wound healing
- Vitamin E helps to maintain cell structures and protect cell membranes
- Selenium is a mineral that helps prevent damage to cells and tissues
- Vitamins C and E, and selenium are antioxidants that may help protect skin from sun damage