Cosmetic surgery follow-up
Follow-up care is important after having any type of cosmetic surgery or reconstructive surgery.
The British Association of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons says aftercare can be just as important as the surgery itself.
Aftercare is about following the cosmetic surgeon's instructions for caring for stitches or wound care, as well as knowing what to do in the event of any complications, such as infections.
Making arrangements for follow-up care is also an important consideration particularly if you are considering going abroad for treatment to save money as a 'health tourist'.
Facts about follow-up care after cosmetic surgery
Your cosmetic surgeon should be active in ensuring the best follow-up care after cosmetic surgery and your satisfaction with the results. Here are some facts you should know:
- Follow-up cosmetic surgery may be required to correct an effect of surgery - such as a ruptured breast implant. Follow-up cosmetic procedures may also be required if you are not satisfied with the initial results.
- You should know when to start evaluating your new look. That is, how long after your cosmetic surgery should you begin assessing your look? This may be weeks, or it may be months. Remember, depending on your procedure, you have to give yourself adequate time to heal before you analyse the results.
Questions to ask your cosmetic surgeon
To help you with follow-up care, here are some questions to ask your cosmetic surgeon:
- How long will your new look last? If you've received injections, how often will you have to return for repeat injections to maintain the look?
- When should you begin considering any necessary follow-up cosmetic procedures?
- If you've undergone a facelift, neck lift or other lifts, will it be necessary to have these done again in your lifetime?
It's important to feel comfortable discussing every question and concern you have with your cosmetic surgeon. This cosmetic surgery was your choice to improve your life and your look. Don't back down from trying to get exactly the end results you wanted.