Boots WebMD Partners in Health
Return To Boots

Mental health centre

Mental health specialists

A number of different types of doctors, specialists and therapists may be involved in the diagnosis and treatment of mental health conditions.

In some cases a  GP will refer a patient to a mental health specialist for assessment and treatment.

  • Cognitive behavioural therapist (CBT): The therapist helps to change people's attitudes and their behaviour through focusing on our thoughts, images, beliefs and attitudes and how these relate to the way we behave as a way of dealing with emotional problems. CBT is available on  the NHS in some areas.
  • Psychologists: Psychologists are experienced in counselling for psychological and emotional issues. Specialist areas include relationships counselling, relaxation therapy,  stress management and  sex therapy.
  • Psychotherapists and psychoanalysts: Psychoanalysts are similar to psychologists and help with  emotional issues. Therapy involves helping the person to understand their problems better, and how they can change future thinking or behaviour.
  • Psychiatrists: These doctors specialise in the treatment of mental, emotional or behavioural issues. Psychiatrist are also able to prescribe medications to help with mental health conditions.


WebMD Medical Reference

Medically Reviewed by Dr Rob Hicks on August 04, 2016

Popular slideshows & tools on BootsWebMD

How to help headache pain
rash on skin
Top eczema triggers to avoid
Causes of fatigue & how to fight it
Tips to support digestive health
woman looking at pregnancy test
Is your body ready for pregnancy?
woman sleeping
Sleep better tonight
Treating your child's cold or fever
fifth disease
Illnesses every parent should know
spoonfull of sugar
Surprising things that harm your liver
woman holding stomach
Understand this common condition
What your nails say about your health