Boots WebMD Partners in Health
Return To Boots
Urinary Incontinence health centre
This content is selected and controlled by BootsWebMD's editorial staff and is supported by Always.
Select a topic to explore more.
Select An Article

Doctors for urinary incontinence treatment

When should you seek medical advice for urinary incontinence?

If you notice more urine leaking than usual and it is affecting daily life, seek medical advice.

Where to go for urinary incontinence treatment

For urinary incontinence treatment, the most common place to start is with your GP. Tell him or her you are having problems with bladder control. After carrying out initial tests, your GP may refer you to a specialist. Doctors specialising in treating urinary incontinence for women include urogynaecologists, gynaecologists with extra training in urinary incontinence, or for men and women, urologists, doctors who specialise in problems of the urinary tract system.

Another option is to visit one of the UK’s 360 NHS continence clinics, which have specialist teams to provide support and medical advice for people with bowel or bladder incontinence. These are usually based either in hospitals or community health centres and do not require referral from your GP.

Questions to ask about urinary incontinence

  • What is causing my urinary incontinence?
  • Is urinary incontinence related to getting older? Does everyone eventually get it?
  • What can I expect to happen next?
  • What medication would work best for my urinary incontinence?
  • What can I do to make medication work better - for example, should I take it at a certain time of day; with food or without food?
  • Do the medications for urinary incontinence and overactive bladder have side effects?
  • How quickly do treatments take effect?
  • What if the medications don't work for me? How will I know if I need to change my urinary incontinence medication?
  • Are there any over-the-counter or complementary medicines that can help urinary incontinence?
  • After the problem gets better, can I stop treatment for urinary incontinence and overactive bladder?
  • Is there anything else I can do right now to minimise my problem?
  • Are there exercises that can help my urinary incontinence?
  • Are there foods, drinks or activities that make urinary incontinence worse?
  • Can underwear or other urinary incontinence products help me manage leaks?
  • Are there support groups with other people who have dealt with this problem?
  • Will my intimate relationship be affected during treatment?
  • Would urinary incontinence surgery help this problem?
  • Does stress make urinary incontinence worse?
  • Is urinary incontinence in men a sign of prostate problems or another medical condition?
  • Do I need to see a urinary continence specialist?
  • Are there clinical trials I could participate in?
Next Article:

WebMD Medical Reference

Medically Reviewed by Dr Rob Hicks on February 26, 2017

Popular slideshows & tools on BootsWebMD

How to help headache pain
rash on skin
Top eczema triggers to avoid
Causes of fatigue & how to fight it
Tips to support digestive health
woman looking at pregnancy test
Is your body ready for pregnancy?
woman sleeping
Sleep better tonight
Treating your child's cold or fever
bucket with cleaning supplies in it
Cleaning and organising tips
adult man contemplating
When illness makes it hard to eat
woman holding stomach
Understand this common condition
cold sore
What you need to know